Hey ya'll
It's been ages since I updated and, after my little encounter with a flying cockroach earlier today I feel rather inspired to rant a little about my relationship with some of our six-legged neighbours.
Now if there's one random fact that you should know about my person, is that I like bugs more than say, your other guy-next-door, which is to say I actually like them a LOT. So believe me when I tell you that the most common question people ask when a cockroach starts fluttering around the room and I quickly make for the nearest exist is ;
"Hey! I thought you like bugs?"
Now, to be really honest with you, I have never actually had a good (that is to say intellectual sounding as well as plausible) answer for this question but after giving it much thought, I've finally come up with one.
Look at it this way, liking bugs is no more different than liking say, chocolate, for instance.
You see, just like the chocolate lover will have his preferences over what types of chocolates he favours over the others, so am I entitled to have my preferences over what kind of bugs I like. Butterflies and Moths, for instance are among the top of my list. Beetles, too are pretty cool by me.
"But what about cockroaches and grasshoppers?" some will insist. "You still haven't explained why you avoid contact with these two bugs despite the fact that you claim to love bugs so much!"
Now really, let us look back to the chocolate lover and his chocolates. Now I'm sure that anyone who is a fan of chocolate will know that there are many types of chocolates (just like there are many types of bugs) and that while some chocolate are eaten raw, there are others who will prefer to have it cooked, or drunk, or baked into cake. There's just many ways of appreciation you see.
Similarly, there are many ways I choose to appreciate my insect friends. While, I wouldn't mind so much getting up close and personal with a butterfly or a moth, I would most certainly have reservations doing so with other bugs, a hornet or a wasp perhaps. And coming back to the question, Cockroaches and Grasshoppers are among the few that I would much rather appreciate with at least a sheet of glass separating the two of us, or (better yet) at a Animal Planet sort of distance.
But really if you think about it, that doesn't make me like them any less. Just like one wouldn't eat cooking chocolate like regular chocolate or make it into drink perhaps, so do I choose to avoid contact with cockroaches and grasshoppers. It's really quite simple, I think.
Anyway, so there you have it. Bugs are mighty cool and amazing and all that, but really there are some which I'd just rather not And really, the next time you see me leave a room hurriedly when a grasshopper or a cockroach comes a-callin' there's really no need to ask anymore questions.
And what about spiders you say? Well, technically they are arachnids, not bugs, so perhaps another later post?

PEACE OUT


