Hey ya'll
I sat up in bed last night, thinking about the upcoming New Year, or rather the one which we have already gotten ourselves into, and I couldn't help but think of all the resolutions people were making. It's not true, what they say, that New Year's resolutions are all made to be broken, because amongst all the silly things we say we will do but know we're not going to i.e "I'm NOT going to drink this year!" there will be, somewhere, a smart person who makes up a very vague resolution that's very easy to not-break i.e "I'm not going to drink THAT much this year!"
But still, perhaps it's still a far-cry better than the some of us who have not made any resolution this year.
You see, I think the idea of making a resolution every New Year, is not so much the point that you are going to see it through (although of course that would be great if you did), so much as it is an act of symbolism; to signify hope and a renewed sense of purpose in life with a coming New Year, where slates are (metaphorically) wiped clean and absolved.
And so today, three days late, I decided that I must have a resolution. For the past I-don't-remember-how-long years, my new year's resolution has been plain and simple. Every night, before the clock strikes twelve; signifying the countdown to a New Year, I pick up a pen and a piece of paper, and scrawl the following ten words; "This year, I want to find out who I am" Quite a vague resolution I say, even by my standards, and one not so easily broken as hard as it is to accomplish.
Still, it's been I-don't-remember-how-many years since I've made that resolution, and I find that each year, instead of coming closer to knowing who I am, I am getting further and further away. First, I could almost see who I was, somewhere behind the clouds, these days I'm not even sure if it's there anymore. Maybe it's just something that comes with age, maybe it's something else. But the point is; it's quite clearly not working.
So this year, I pick up the pen and paper, and decide to try something else. I scrawl, this time just two words, instead of my usual ten;
"An ASS!"
so let's see how this turns out!Happy New Year and may all your resolutions work out
PEACE OUT


