Today I started with the CNY cleaning (calling it a little late, I know) and what a better way to start than dealing with that undignified mass that has burried what's left of the shoe rack in my house. Yes, that's right, I'm talking about the shoe cabinet. Anyway I decided to come up with this system whereby I take pictures of the shoes we had and stuck them on their boxes. That way I can keep them neat and tidy and when someone wants to look for a shoe, they don't have to go abou t upturning the entire pile to find that one shoe. So anyway I got to it and then I realised, most of these shoes don't even belong to me... they belong to my sister...and some of them I've only seen during their store debut, a.k.a once!!! So, out of curiousity (and maybe cuz I was running out of things to blog about) I decided to do a shoe count. Well, let's start then shall we not?
Shoe 1
Shoe 2
Shoe 3
Shoe 4
Shoe 5So anyway while we're "counting" these shoes, I've got a question to raise with all of you women girls and ladies out there. What's with all the shoes??? As misogynistic as it sounds I must say that I can NOT understand why a woman, girl or lady would need that many shoes in her life. Now, I understand how important image is for women in today's working world. As much as our society has transgressed over "sexism" in its legal papers, it is still a very much image-oriented world when it comes to women in the workplace. The dilemma of trying to look professional AND feminine comes to mind. In today's workforce a woman needs to dress in such a way that let's people know she wants to be taken seriously, look good, and at the same time not compromise the way people see her as a professional, a tast that can be surprisingly hard. If she were to wear too stylish clothing like fitting blouses and pencil skirts, people accuse her of being trampy or sluttish, if she wears slacks a loose fitting top, jabs of being too "manly" from working in a "male-centric" environment ensues.
Shoe 6
Shoe 7
Shoe 8
Shoe 9
Shoe 10But anyway, image aside, why shoes? Of all things. I mean she could get more blouses...or more skirts or something...why shoes? Surely it would be more prudent to get just a few that you would wear that could go with anything than a whole set of them that probably debut just once or twice a year and then are forgotten, banished to the ever-growing mound that is my sister's shoe collection, speaking of which, where are we so far... oh right.
Shoe 11
Shoe 12
Shoe 13
Shoe 14
Shoe 15Anyway so what's the idea on shoes here ladies? Care to help me out? A lady friend once told me that girls have to buy a lot of shoes to attract a lot of guys. While biting back my attempt to point out that her statement degrades her gender by suggesting that the sole purpose of her actions was to please a man I actually came up with something else to say that was less controversial and it is this; If girls buy lots of shoes to please their boyfriends well, I think they are quite mistaken and it actually has a reverse effect. I mean, I've walked by shoe shops countless of times and couldn't help but notice how there always seemed to be rows and rows of forlorn and bored looking boyfriends, clutching on to shopping bags and looking like they would rather be anywhere else than watch their girlfriends excitedly try on ten pairs of shoes that they will probably not even buy. That and also....I don't think that many guys...well straight guys anyway look at a woman's feet to admire the shoes she's wearing...he's probably looking at some place else...
Shoe 16
Shoe 17
Shoe 18
Shoe 19
Shoe 20But another suggestion that a separate female friend gave me was that girls buy a lot of shoes for the benefit of other girls. She told me that shoes to a woman are like status symbols to men, that while men measure each other's worth in their talents and achievements, women do so by comparing their physical traits and material possessions (again a very misogynistic and male-centric point of view if you ask me since it trivializes the status of women by objectifying them in material matters but since she's a woman herself I felt it not my place to point this out) But then, why shoes?! Why not bags? Or accessories?
Shoe 21
Shoe 22
Shoe 23
Shoe 24
Shoe 25Anyway I guess a woman and her shoes are probably one of the unsolved mysteries. You could probably ask ten different women about her love for shoes and she would probably give you different answers. Could it really be all the above...or perhaps its quite simply that our media hsa managed to convice us that capitalism realy is the way to go and that this "shoe obsession" somehow make women more feminine....
Anyway as you can also probably guess I'm beginning to run out of things to say....and still more shoes to go... so let's just end here by finishing up the shoe count...
Shoe 26
Shoe 27
Shoe 28
Shoe 29
Shoe 30
Shoe 31
Shoe 32
Shoe 33
Shoe 34
Shoe 35
Shoe 36
Shoe 37
Shoe 3838 shoes... and these are excluding the other mountain of boots she keeps in her room. (ps. there were in total 50 shoes that I cleared today, the remaining twelve belonged to myself, my dad and my mom) Anyway I got nothing against girls and their shoes, I'll even come with you shoe shopping if you ask me...I'm just curious...and slightly annoyed maybe since my sis was "not at home" and I had to clean up her "mess" for her.
PEACE OUT


