ACROSSTHEUNIVERSE
Dear readers
Just some random updates about what's been going on, looks like the situation in Thailand has only worsened and every morning on my way to university I'm catching snippets of things from the radio - "government are sending in tanks...36 dead..red-shirts attacking journalists" I really do hope that things start to settle by July or the Monash Expedition may be forced to terminate itself. As far as I know the students, for the better part are still enthusiastic about heading out to Chiang Mai, the problem is I suppose the University has to take precautions against having to explain to distraught parents as to why their little boy or girl was shot dead on a study trip. Choices...choices...
On another note I have begun putting the final touches to my short story "Metamorphosis" which will be due for peer reviewing and editting on Monday. Its basically a rather simple story about a woman coming to terms with her identity and centres around the notion of beauty which I'm sure we all know is a very central figure in a woman's life - the whole discourse of how a woman "should" look, ideally flawless, ageless etc. etc. and the range of cosmetics that have been produced to add to that discourse - and the story basically looks into the notions of beauty regarding women's identity and agency (do they give her more choice and freedom or, does she realy have choice and freedom after all?) In telling this story though, I'll make abundant use of metaphors and symbols and give it a little fantastical, magic realist twist. Anyway keep your eyes peeled for that because as soon as I get the green light, I'll probably publish the first version here for all of your opinions.
Anyway I don't like to keep you all hanging on without something that you may (or may not be interested in) but I took the liberty today - I haven't done this in awhile - to record myself covering the song Across The Universe which is perhaps one of my more favourite Beatles songs. In case I have not yet mentioned I will also be acting, dancing and singing in the upcoming musical Hairspray, sooo... keep an eye out for that as well as the Monash Performing Arts Club takes this years production to new heights and aesthetics. Anyway, more on that later. For now, enjoy :)
~Oh you can kiss me on a Wednesday, a Thursday, a Friday, and Saturday is best. But never on a Sunday - a Sunday - a Sunday cuz that's my day of rest~
CYREN


